Wednesday, March 23, 2011

What Does A Mother Say to Her Child When...?

The Dead of Night
Image by Scott Ableman via Flickr
Yesterday night at 11.30 I jumped out from the bed at the sound of the siren/air strike alarm or whatever you call it. My husband grabbed our daughter and we rushed outside the apartment, on the stairs. We don't have a safe room, we live on the 6th floor so the ground shelter wasn't an option, so we had to settle for the stairs. And believe me, it doesn't matter if it is in the middle of the night or that you are barefoot and in pijamas, you just do it. Two years ago a missile fell on the a building a few blocks away and it shook all the neighbourhood and left me with a life-time fear of sirens. The people that lived there where spared because they got out from their apartment....otherwise, they would all be dead.
Maya was half asleep and kept asking: "What is happening, mama ?" ("mama" is "mother" in Romanian). I tried to reassure her repeating like a parrot "Everything is fine, baby" while shaking like a leaf. Two years ago when such alarms surprised us at the green grocer's or in the street I used to tell her we were playing a game of hide and seek. Once, we were in the car and in such situations you have to get out of the car and lay on the pavement. I used to cover her with my body and pray hard to God to protect us... But at 11.30 at night? "Are you crazy, mama?" she would've asked me laughing. At night children sleep safely in their beds, chasing butterflies or flying with Buzz Lightyear in their dreams...
After we returned in our home she wouldn't settle to sleep, kept saying that she is cold and afraid...I understood her because I felt the same way...
Not anymore, please God!
I don't want the nightmare repeating itself, not another war.
I want my baby to grow up NOT knowing what an alarm is, not crying when she hears its piercing sound. I don't want to hear war air crafts flying over my head and I want my son home, not at the base, night after night...
But the world around us thinks otherwise and this madness that enveloped the Arab countries has seeped into my life as well. I am afraid for what the future holds and I tremble for my children.
So, you tell me please, what does a mother tell to her children when the alarm sounds in the middle of the night?

I am linking this to

Enhanced by Zemanta

10 comments:

Unknown said...

I honestly don't know. And the youngest 2 are getting to be the age when they wonder when something happens. It was hard enough to try to explain the situation to the elder three when we moved here. In a way... it's a way of life for the next generation, like it's a way of life to my brothers and sisters who grew up here.

BNM said...

oh my goodness that put chills up my spine! I am so sorry that yall are dealing with that. I dont know what you should tell your children. Bless your heart, that is terrible.

Unknown said...

Daca simti nevoia sa vorbesti in romana cu cineva care intelege ce simti , suna-ma la nr. 0577 25892

Ioana

Unknown said...

rectific nr . de telefon : 0577258892

Shell said...

I don't think I'd have a clue what to tell my child. What a strong mama you must be!

Kay said...

How awful! I can't even imagine the thought of having to explain to a young child that this world is dangerous and crazy.

Unknown said...

Wow. I just don't know what I would say. It sounds like you are teaching her through your own strength and prayers. You posts was so touching. My heart goes out to you. Sending prayers your way.
Stopped by from Shell's PYHO link.

Alone in Holy Land said...

Thank you very much for your thoughts, kind words and prayers. It is conforting to know that there are people like you in this wworld.
Tomorow and on Friday there is no school and no kindy, the kids are staying at home. We are still on a state of "alertness" and I pray to God everything will be all right.

Jack Steiner said...

I don't know. I hope that I am wrong but it feels to me like a bad time. The rockets and the pigua the other day...

Be careful and stay safe.

Sorta Southern Single Mom said...

I honestly can't think of anything better than what you did... reassuring her that you are there and you are all together.

How scary. You are in my prayers.