Saturday, April 30, 2011

Thank You God for the Miracles!



I didn't want the title of my post to sound too exagerated, or grandiose but believe me, it isn't. Read away, and you'll see. But before that, please, overlook grammar or syntax mistakes, now that everything is fine I feel as if I'd run the marathon (and won) - shattered, but in a good way...



The events stared to unfurl on Thrursday, when I took Maya home from the kindy and saw she wasn't feeling well. Maya is a higly active child and you can see from a distance when she is sick, because she is too quite and settled. The diagnose was unforgiving: a bad case of throat infection that needed antibiotics. She also had a very high fever - around 40 C...After we came home from the doctor's office I gave her Nurofen and left her with my husband because I had to go and buy the antibiotics...I ran like crazy to the pharmacy, I returned home and began the grueling task of convincing Maya to drink the medicine...You have to know Maya personally to understand she is a very stubborn child, she sometimes decides she doesn't like or want something and nothing in the wide world would convince her of the contrary. And that's the sotsituation with the antibiotics. She doesn't have a problem with taking Nurofen or different types of cough syrup, or Echinacea... she even took fish oil once! But with antibiotics - she throws them up (food for thought - maybe next time I'll ask for injectable antibiotics, end of story).



Anyhow, of course nothing worked and finally she vomited the syrup and that sent me on a spyral of panic and fear. I didn't know what to do, if to give her another full dose...so I tried to call the nurses' office, no answer, so I ran again to the closest doctors's office to ask somebody for an advice...



And in this amalgam of feelings, panic and stuff I forgot about our cat. She just wasn't in the picture, Maya was more important...so, sometime around 9 o'clock in the evening I asked my husband if he saw Dasha, our cat, Maya's pet and furry friend...After receiving a negative answer we looked for her...everywhere, we searched every corner and nook of the apartment , but no cat. Maya started crying hot, feverish tears...and that was the beginning of the nightmare....



Firstly, we had no idea how on Earth she could've get out. It is true, she is fascinated by birds and pigeons and open windows, but we also have blinds at our windows and everything was shut in the house...the most credible theory was that she somehow sneaked out when I opened the front door and because I was in a hurry I didn't notice her...



I don't think I have enough words to describe the following nights and the day between them...We looked everywhere, we combed the neighborhood and the building, we put up posters, talked with the neighbors...we went the whole nine yards, while looking after a sick child...I didn't sleep or eat, I think I survived solely on adrenaline...



But, because there is a God above us all Who performs miracles...On Saturday morning, Dasha's former owner came to help us look for her...and she found Dasha!!! She was outside the building, on the second floor, curled on the roof that protects a sort of small balcony where the people hang their laundry. The problem was they couldn't reach her, she didn't want to move and we were afraid she was baldly hurt (the building has seven floors). The only thing that came into my mind at 7 o'clock on a Shabbat morning was: firefighters...My husband said they wouldn't come but I called them nevertheless, because you wouldn't know until you've tried...And what do you think? They came!!! With a very long ladder and they rescued Dasha!!! And what is most amazing is the fact thet she wasn't hurt, not a bit; scared, yes and in shock and a bit dehydrated but otherwise FINE!



After around 36 hours of tension and fear and fever and tears, we found her! And Maya is feeling better too!



Thank you God, what is it more to say?



Maybe there a few thank yous , to Karina, the "cat whisperer" who found Dasha, to the firefighters who came so promptly and to all our friends who supported us, listened to us and simply helped us get through such difficult hours...



And why did I write "miracles" (in the plural) in the title? Because I am sure now that God perfomed many miracles in our lives and I am certain we'll see some more...






No comments: